Monday, January 6, 2014

And-or, Nand-nor

As a human, I often find myself going into automatic mode when writing.  And as a human, my mind chooses a handful of go-to terms that it can use without a second thought.

However, as a writer, I often find myself pulling the hair out of my head during the revision process, when I find I have used only two conjunctions throughout the paper: AND and OR.  So, I've decided to post a list of conjunctions within view at all times in my office, and I wanted to share them with you in case you have the same problem.  By no means is this an extensive list, but it's a good start (and no, they're not quite alphabetical):

Additionally
As a result
Consequently
Coincidentally
Hence
Once
Although
Nevertheless
Also
After
As if
As long as
As though
Because
Before
Even though
Even if
For instance
For example
For
Furthermore
Finally
However
If
If only
In order
Moreover
Now that
Nor
On the one hand
On the other hand
Rather
So
Since
Than
That
Therefore
Though
Thus
Then
Unless
Until
Undoubtedly
When
Where
Whereas
Whenever
While
Yet

-Giovanni

No comments:

Post a Comment